Guy Recipes: Holiday Brownies Made With Booze
We think baking can be manly no matter what, but it’s especially manly when two of the ingredients will also get you hammered.
By ModernMan Editors
We like brownies, we like booze, and we especially like brownies with booze. And since drinking and eating eating dessert are what the true holiday spirit is all about — wait, did we get that wrong? — we found the ideal recipe for your celebration of Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, New Year’s, Festivus, or Boxing Day: brownies made with Bailey’s Irish Cream and crème de menthe.
All together, the ingredients will run about $50 total (though you’ll have plenty of booze left over for making Irish coffees and whatnot). When serving, we recommend cutting the brownies into bite-sized pieces; they’re extremely rich, plus smaller portions will facilitate grazing at your family’s trough of Christmas cookies.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
Brownie layer ingredients
1/2 cup butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon Baileys Irish Cream
2 large eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Mint layer ingredients
2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons crème de menthe
Chocolate glaze ingredients
3 oz. semisweet chocolate (90 grams)
1 tablespoon butter
How to make the brownies
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a saucepan using low heat; stir throughout to get a smooth consistency.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the Baileys Irish Cream and sugar.
4. Add the eggs (one at a time) and beat with a wooden spoon.
5. Add the flour and salt, and then continue to stir until smooth (aim for about a minute or so).
6. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and use the spoon or a spatula to spread it evenly.
7. Bake brownies for 25-30 minutes. To check if they’re done, stick a toothpick into the center; if it comes out clean, the brownies are done.
How to make the mint layer
1. Using a hand or electric mixer, beat the butter for a few seconds.
2. Add the crème de menthe, heavy cream, and half of the confectioners sugar. Continue beating.
3. Pour in the remainder of the sugar (add crème if the frosting is too thick) and put it into the refrigerator for five to 10 minutes.
How to make the chocolate glaze
1. Melt the chocolate and butter over low heat.
2. Spread a layer over the mint filling and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
3. Slice up, divide into portions, and serve (or put back into the fridge).
Photography by Erica Schultz