Moving can be a source of stress caused by anticipation, new opportunities, and challenges. Timely preparation and the right way of thinking will help to simplify the task for all family members. It is necessary to properly organize the move, take care of yourself in difficult moments and adapt to the new place of residence. Coping with stress isn’t always easy, but moving is always a new and exciting chapter in your life. To reduce stress check moving company reviews before hiring the out of state movers and ask for a moving Quote. Be prepared to save your money and download and print a moving checklist.
How to organize a move
- Get rid of unnecessary things. Moving is a great opportunity to get rid of those things that you no longer need. This action will relieve tension and simplify the move, as you will need to transport less things.
Review all your items and divide them into four categories: sell, give away, throw away, and keep. Some items can be sold online, and less valuable ones can be given to a thrift store.
Reviewing things also helps relieve stress. You’ll feel much better if you don’t have to transport every unnecessary little thing.
- Pack your things according to a clear plan. It is important to have a clear idea of what you are packing and why. Thanks to the plan, the unpacking process will be simplified, as a result of which you will save yourself from unnecessary stress in a new place.
Start packing the boxes a few weeks before you move, so you can get everything done. These boxes can be taken from retail stores or you can buy special packaging materials in stores with goods for moving.
Indicate on the box the category of things stored in it and the room in which they will fall. In addition, the boxes can be arranged by color or by number.
- Make a list of tasks that you need to complete before moving. Putting things together isn’t everything. You will also need to coordinate the departure from the old home and the entrance to the new house. In some cases, you will be faced with the need to turn off the utilities in the old house and connect them in the new place.
Make a list in descending order of importance. All tasks that require monetary expenses or are completed on certain dates should be at the top of the list.
Specify the dates of departure and entry. Sometimes you need to pay double rent in a few days or weeks, but this will save you from an extra headache.
- Assign things to others. If you have a family, assign specific tasks to each family member. Small children will not be able to pack their things, but they will be able to cope with minor cleaning.
- Don’t try to solve everything alone. Even if you don’t have a family, you can ask your friends for help. Several pairs of hands are able to organize the move and put things together without additional difficulties.
- Use paid services. Depending on the number of items and the distance of the move, it may be necessary to use the services of movers and moving companies.
How to take care of yourself
Consider your emotional needs. Even in the case of positive reasons for moving, there may be a feeling of sadness and anxiety. Possible difficulties in moving should not be underestimated, but taken into account at the preparation stage.
Even if the move opens up bright prospects for you, change is often difficult. Let yourself get a little sad, then switch to new challenges.
If the move is caused by difficult changes in your life, then it will be useful for you to focus on business. In such a situation, the level of stress increases, so focusing on current affairs will help you distract from sad thoughts. At the same time, you do not need to drown out the emotions that arise. They should be felt and passed through.
When emotions overwhelm you, try to focus on something else. Health education specialist Laura Horn says: “When the stress level is too high, it is unlikely that you will be able to deal with the situation effectively. In such moments, you need something that helps you calm down. Find something to do that will distract you from your current problems. For example, you can create something, create a puzzle, attend an event, go somewhere to eat, or even help someone just like that, as a sign of kindness.”
- Say goodbye to the place and old acquaintances before you leave. Take a walk around the area to remember the years you spent here. Take your friends with you to indulge in pleasant memories together.
- Organize a farewell dinner with your friends before you leave. Turn your last day in these places into a memorable event to say goodbye to your past life with dignity.
- When you say goodbye to your friends, don’t forget to tell them how much they mean to you and why. Even if you agree to stay in touch, be sure to show your friends that you appreciate and love them.
- Tell your feelings to a person you trust. Some people believe that it is best to ignore your emotions when moving, but talking to a loved one will help reduce tension and collect your thoughts. A sincere friend will provide you with invaluable emotional support.
Moving evokes many emotions — hope, anxiety, fear, and frustration. Tell your feelings to a loved one, so as not to keep them to yourself and not to ignore the emotions that arise.
If necessary, you can contact a psychotherapist, especially if the move is due to life difficulties.
- Encourage children to give vent to their feelings. If you have children, they should know that feelings and emotions are completely normal. It is very important to teach young children how to properly give vent to emotions.
- Find out how they feel about the move. If the children participate in the move, even if they do not make decisions, they will feel their importance.
If your children are already teenagers, then every day they should be busy with something. You can walk, swim or watch movies. This strategy will be especially useful if the move is caused by a divorce or separation.
- Don’t forget about your daily chores and needs. During the hectic and chaotic days of preparing for the move, people often forget about sleep and healthy eating. Try to follow the usual daily routine, rest and eat in a timely manner, because in such a difficult time you will need a remarkable reserve of strength and proper functioning of the body.
Continue to do the usual things. If you have a family dinner or go to a restaurant every week, you don’t need to cancel these meetings because of the upcoming move.
Try to rest every night. Thanks to the competent planning of the move, you can relax at night instead of the hectic packing of things and organizing other things.