A Guide About K Visas Categories

visa k1

A visa is a legal document required for entering another country legally. It’s usually put into the holder’s passport. There are many types of visas, each granting different privileges to foreigners when they visit the given country.

When traveling to other countries, one needs a visa to gain access. Countries have differing visa policies to cater to all types of individuals. The visa categories typically include business visas, tourist visas, temporary residence visas and more. 

Types of K Visa

A K Visa is a popular non-immigrant visa category that allows US citizens to apply for fiancés, spouses, and children. This visa gives people from abroad the opportunity to come to the US and go through and fulfill certain requirements before they’re allowed long-term residence in the country.

The first step is to figure out which visa category is the right one for you. Consulting an experienced Washington DC immigration lawyer is definitely recommended to ensure that the paperwork is done correctly. The lawyer will review and compile all necessary evidence (i.e. marriage certificate) showing couples were legally married when an application has been filed – since those getting married would need proof that their union was recent and legitimate otherwise approval will not be granted and legal entrance into the US will be denied.

K-1 Visa

The K-1 visa has a duration of 90 days. You can only marry someone during this time. Once you’re married, you’ll receive permanent citizenship in that country. If you want to make your fiancé a legal US citizen, simply apply for a K-1 visa and tie the knot! Some requirements must be fulfilled while applying for a K-1 visa. For instance, valid evidence is required to show that you and your fiance must have been in a relationship for the last 2 years. For proof, they require your photos, text messages, etc. The applicant and sponsor must not have any criminal records. Extensive background checks will be conducted to confirm this.

K-2 Visa

Derivative visas such as K2 visas are designed for parents who want to immigrate with their soon-to-be spouses or children under 18 years old. These visas are temporary and will grant a lawful entry into the U.S. when they can acquire their immigrant status from the parent’s green card or U.S citizenship application.

K-3  Visa

A K-3 Visa is a visa given to a foreign spouse of an American. It was designed to shorten the time between living apart from one another after marriage. This particular type of visa grants entrances into America while waiting for the immigration process, before finally taking the next step and applying for permanent residency – where they can then live with their spouses, without ever having to leave America again!

K-4 Visa

If you have applied for permanent residence for your non-U.S spouse and it has not yet been approved, you can also file I-129F. This provides an interim visa to your spouse and children to stay legally in the United States until the embassy informs you about the outcome of I-130. This visa is necessary because it usually takes a long time before you’ll be able to get a decision on I-130. So, if you can’t wait to be with your family, a K-4 visa may be the solution. K-4 and K-3 visas, although not non-immigrant visas, keep families together. Currently, there is less need for this visa because the decision on I-130 has been speeding up post-COVID. 

Cost of the K Visa

There are different fees for a k-1 visa. When the petition is approved then you will call for a medical examination, which will also have some costs. It depends on your location. Usually, you can pay when you attend an interview. The overall cost for the K-1 visa is $1000.

Can you Bring Anyone With You?

If you want to take anybody else with you then you need to submit another I-129_F for a K1 visa for family members. For example, if any children are traveling with you, then a new petition will be submitted after one year.

Conditional Permanent Resident Status

A two-year conditional Green Card is only given to those who were married less than two years prior is known as the AOS form; or Application for Change of Status. 90 days before its expiration date, it must be filed and submitted for removal of conditions by showing documentary evidence about the marriage being still active. To apply for this form, if the marriage has ended, you can use an applicable waiver form called EWS – otherwise known as Waiver Under Section 245(i) o’ Immigration Nationality Act.

Potential Roadblocks

One obstacle many immigrants face when trying to enter the United States is providing evidence for certain requirements for their visa application. These requirements include proof of ties to their home country, waivers for certain circumstances, and establishing relationships with family members who are citizens or residents. 

Other obstacles people might come across include inadmissibility issues, which could result in their being denied entry into the US due to a variety of different reasons such as criminal activity, having been previously deported from the US, etc. It is important to gather the necessary documentation required to avoid such roadblocks to get your visa seamlessly. For individuals with complicated applications such as criminal records and more, it is highly recommended to consult a lawyer before applying.

Attaining a Lawyer

The documents you provide to prove your eligibility for U.S. citizenship and evidence of meeting eligibility requirements within the last two years can make sure that your petition will not be denied- which is one less thing to worry about! If you’re considering applying for a K visa, it might be worth taking some time to find out if there are any grounds for denying it. And it just so happens that experienced immigration lawyers know all about this! If you decide not to go with a lawyer, don’t forget to include all required documents in your petition (and consult with one!)