The handlebars on a motorcycle serve several functions. First and foremost, they provide a surface for the rider to hold onto, helping to maintain control. They also allow the rider to steer the motorcycle and make turns. In addition, handlebars can also play a role in the styling and appearance of a motorcycle. For these reasons, the quality and looks of the handlebars are essential aspects of the overall riding experience.
Considering the design, the handlebars found on Harley-Davidson motorcycles stand out the most. While Harley-Davidson bikes are known for their iconic styling and performance, their handlebars have a few potential downsides.
For one, they may be uncomfortable for some riders. The traditional “ape hanger” style handlebars used on many Harley-Davidson motorcycles can put the rider’s arms in an extended and upward position, which can be unpleasant for some people. This can cause fatigue and discomfort on long rides.
Some riders also find that they don’t offer as much control as other handlebar designs. Keeping control of the motorcycle can be challenging due to the handlebars’ elevated and extended posture. And this might be particularly difficult while making tight turns or moving slowly.
Luckily, most riders can overcome these issues with a good set of Harley Davidson handlebar grips. Let’s learn more about how these simple upgrades can improve your riding experience.
These handlebar accessories are in fact a crucial safety feature on any motorcycle. They provide a surface for the rider to hold onto, helping to steer the bike and keep the hands and wrists in a comfortable and natural position.
They also help to reduce vibration and road shock, which can cause fatigue and discomfort on long rides. In addition, a good set can enhance the overall look and style of the motorcycle. For these reasons, it’s recommended to get good-quality grips for your ride.
Choosing a suitable set for your Harley motorcycle mostly depends on personal preference. Nevertheless, there are a few things to consider when making your choice.
These handlebar accessories are typically made from rubber, foam, or gel. Rubber models are the most common and offer good grip and durability, while foam and gel models may be more comfortable for longer rides.
Grips can have various sizes and shapes to fit different hand sizes and riding styles. If you have larger hands, you may want to choose a larger model with a more pronounced “wing” shape. On the other hand, a smaller grip with a more rounded shape may be more comfortable and will work best for those with smaller hands.
As mentioned, the look of your handlebars can significantly affect your bike’s overall look and style. That’s why you need to find Harley Davidson handlebar grips that perfectly complement your ride’s appearance.
For this reason, these bike upgrades are available in various styles, from retro and classic designs to modern, sleek, and edgy ones. Think about your Harley’s style, and choose a set that complements it.
If possible, try out the product before you purchase to see how it feels in your hand. It will give you a better idea of whether the design is comfortable and whether it will work well for your riding style.
In general, choosing handlebar grips that feel steady and comfortable in your hand is crucial. This way, you’ll be able to keep control of your motorcycle and ride safely and comfortably.
There are many good designs available for Harley motorcycles. Some popular options include the Kuryakyn ISO products, the Vance & Hines comfort foam sets, and the Harley-Davidson branded options. Other popular brands to consider are Arlen, Avon, Biltwell and Renthal.
As mentioned earlier, the best solution for you will depend on your personal preferences and the style of your motorcycle, so it’s important to try out a few different models before making a decision.
To do this, you’ll need a few tools and supplies, including a special glue or adhesive, a small screwdriver or knife, and a cloth or rag. Here are the steps to follow:
- Clean the handlebars – Before you start, clean the handlebars thoroughly. Use a cloth or rag to remove dirt or debris. It will help the grips adhere better and prevent any slippage.
- Apply an adhesive – Next, apply a special adhesive to the inside of the grip and the handlebars. Be sure to follow the instructions on the adhesive carefully, as different products may have different application methods.
- Slide the grip onto the handlebar – Do this carefully, ensuring it’s properly aligned. Use your hands to adjust it as needed until it is in the desired position.
- Secure it in place – Once it’s in the desired position, use a small screwdriver or knife to push the end onto the handlebars. This will help secure it in place and prevent it from sliding around.
- Allow the adhesive to dry – Once it’s in place, let the glue dry according to the directions on the packaging. Usually, this takes a few hours or an entire night.
Once the adhesive has dried, your new grips should be securely attached to your handlebars. You can test them out to make sure they feel comfortable and secure before you hit the road.
To maintain your new handlebar accessories, it’s important to keep them clean and free of debris. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Clean them regularly – To clean up any dirt, filth, or debris from the surface, use a soft cloth or brush. It will keep them from slipping and also help increase their lifespan.
- Protect them from the elements – If you store your motorcycle outside, consider using a cover to protect the handlebars from rain, snow, and other weather conditions. As a result, they will be less likely to wear out or get damaged.
- Replace when necessary – Over time, the grips can become worn or damaged, leading to a loss of grip and control. If yours show signs of wear or are no longer comfortable, consider replacing them with new ones.
- Use a grip lubricant – To improve traction and prevent them from becoming slippery, you can apply a lubricant on the surface. It will also improve their performance.
By following these steps, you can ensure you get the utmost comfort and control while you are on the road.