The Science Behind Why Women Find 80% of Men Unattractive

Have you ever heard the statistic that women find 80% of men unattractive? If so, you may have wondered where that number comes from. Is it accurate? And what does it mean for us as individuals? Let’s take a look at the science behind this statistic and gain a better understanding of what it implies.

The 80% Statistic Explained

The 80% statistic is derived from a study conducted by the University of Texas at Austin in 2017 and published in Psychological Science.

In the study, researchers asked heterosexual women to rate pictures of men based on their attractiveness. The results showed that women found only 20% of the men attractive, while finding the other 80% unattractive.

What Does This Mean for Us?

It’s important to remember that these findings are averages; they don’t apply to every individual. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to physical attraction, and some people may find more than 20% of those shown in the study attractive.

Additionally, physical attraction isn’t always an indication of how attracted someone is to another person; personality traits and shared interests can also be alluring. That being said, understanding why certain attributes might be considered universally attractive can give us insight into our own preferences in romantic partners.

The Burden of Beauty Standards

Beauty standards vary from culture to culture, but they all place a burden on both women and men. For men, the pressure is often more intense; they are expected to be tall, muscular, and have perfect features. Because this ideal is impossible for most people to attain, it’s no wonder that many feel inadequate or undesirable. The pressure to conform to unrealistic expectations can also lead to depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues.

What Makes Someone Attractive?

While beauty standards may be difficult to live up to, research has shown that certain traits can make someone more attractive than others.

Studies have found that people who are kind, outgoing, confident, and emotionally intelligent are more likely to be seen as attractive than those who lack these qualities. Additionally, physical characteristics such as facial symmetry and healthy skin can also play a role in how attractive someone is perceived by others.

By understanding what makes someone attractive on both an emotional and physical level, men can work towards improving their attractiveness in order to attract attention from potential partners.

How Men Can Improve Their Attractiveness

It may seem daunting if you feel like you don’t measure up when it comes to the traditional beauty standards set out by society. However, there are steps you can take towards becoming more attractive in other ways.

Start by working on your self-confidence; practice positive self-talk and affirmations daily until you start believing them yourself! Additionally try learning new skills or hobbies; having interests outside of yourself will broaden your horizons and make you far more interesting as a person!

Lastly focus on being kind; being kind shows others that you care about them which will make them far more likely want to get closer with you!


Although the statistic that 80% of men are considered unattractive is daunting, it’s important to remember that this doesn’t apply to every individual.

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to physical attraction and personality traits play a huge role in how attractive someone is perceived by others. Additionally, there are steps men can take towards becoming more attractive such as working on their self-confidence, learning new skills or hobbies and being kind which will make them far more likely want to get closer with you!

Understanding what makes someone attractive both emotionally and physically can help us gain insight into our own preferences when it comes to romantic partners.