As you get older, you have to do pesky things like go to work, pay rent, and, worst of all, toss your Flintstones cherry-flavored vitamins! Okay, that’s not the worst. In fact, we’re guessing that the last thing on your mind is a multivitamin. But getting into the habit of taking one might be something to consider. While research seems to ping-pong between whether multivitamins are worth the money, we think they’re worthwhile. Why? Because we asked a professional and her advice stuck with us: take a multivitamin when you feel like you need a multivitamin. Makes sense.
So if you’re dragging ass, pop one. Even the best multivitamins for men aren’t elixirs that’ll cure all ailments, nor are they going to pump you full of nutrients that’ll enable you to come to some epiphany. They’re simply a supplement — an add-on to your normal diet — that’ll help ensure you get the nutrients you need. Here is a handful of great options…
The Benefits of Multivitamins for Men
Multivitamins not only replenish your body with the adequate amounts of nutrients it needs but also offers a myriad of benefits for your health. Here is why multivitamins are essential for your health and the benefits they offer.
1. Boosts Immunity: A daily dose of multivitamins helps to strengthen your immune system. Vitamins C, D, and E, along with zinc are essential for a strong immune system. Without adequate amounts of these nutrients, you are likely to catch coughs, colds, and respiratory infections. Taking multivitamins ensures that your body has the necessary defense mechanisms in place to combat infections.
2. Promotes Heart Health: Several studies have linked multivitamin use to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. Vitamins B1, B2, B6, K1, magnesium, and niacin aid in improving cardiovascular health. By taking a multivitamin, you can keep your heart in healthy condition.
3. Boosts Energy Levels: If you feel a constant state of fatigue, taking multivitamins may help you regain and maintain optimal energy levels. Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12 and niacin found in multivitamins are responsible for converting food into energy. If you have a deficiency in any of these vitamins, you are likely to have low energy levels, which can affect your productivity during the day.
4. Enhances Muscle Health: If you lift weights or regularly engage in physical activities, multivitamins can be beneficial for muscle growth and recovery. Vitamin D and calcium contribute to muscle strength while vitamin C supports muscle repair. Zinc helps with post-exercise recovery and prevents muscle damage.
5. Improves brain functions: Multivitamins contain several essential vitamins that promote optimal brain function. Folic acid, vitamins B6 and B12, and vitamin D improve cognitive function, including memory, processing speed, and executive function.
The Best Men’s Multivitamins
Pumpkin seed and palmetto oil promote prostate health, and the addition of adrenal blend supports muscle growth. Additional benefits include acai, a phytosterol that helps lower the absorption of bad cholesterol, urinary and prostate health, and improve your body’s absorption of vitamins A, D, E, and K.
If you work out often and with high intensity you should heavily consider taking a multivitamin. One of the best multivitamins for men who train hard in the gym is the Opti-Men from Optimum Nutrition. With an emphasis on B-Complex vitamins for energy and amino acids to help cleanse free radicals from the body, these are a go-to for bodybuilders. The downside: the directions call for you to take a tablet three times per day with meals. In other words, it’s an obligation.
With milk thistle for liver function support, spirulina — a plant algae that contains lots of healthy protein and iron — and pomegranate (a nutrient-packed fruit) it’s a great organic-fueled multivitamin for men.
Filled with vitamin A and selenium, a powerful antioxidant that helps reduce the chance of prostate cancer, and other conditions such as dandruff, asthma, and infertility.